Raab says cyber criminals, aided by hostile states, seeking to exploit coronavirus crisis
Dominic Raab’s press conference
A third resident has died in a care home on Skye at the centre of a significant coronavirus outbreak.
The care home’s operators, HC-One, confirmed the death, which follows the deaths of two other residents at Home Farm in Portree on Monday in the latest large outbreak at a care home.
It emerged over the weekend that 30 of the home’s 34 residents and 27 staff, half its workforce, tested positive for Covid-19 after local NHS officials ordered widespread testing at the facility.
With the exception of Shetland, where there have been 54 confirmed cases and six deaths, Scotland’s islands were thought to have largely escaped the pandemic. The Skye case has shocked islanders, and a mobile testing unit run by the army has been set up to trace any other cases on the island.
Deaths in Northern Ireland rise by 17 to 404
Welsh first minister urges second home owners to stay away over bank holiday weekend
The Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford, has published an open letter calling for people not to make unnecessary trips over the bank holiday weekend and for second home owners to stay away. The letter says:
Wales is a beautiful and welcoming country but, like other administrations across the United Kingdom, the Welsh government has placed restrictions on non-essential travel.
We have also limited access to our national parks, and imposed restrictions on caravan and campsites, hotels, B&Bs and holiday accommodation. These businesses can currently open only in response to a request from the Welsh government or a local authority.
In particular, we are asking all owners of second homes in Wales to act responsibly and to avoid travelling to those homes until restrictions have been lifted. We look forward to welcoming you back once it is safe again to do so.
The letter is also signed by the chair of policing Wales, Dafydd Llywelyn, and Cllr Andrew Morgan, the leader of the Welsh Local Government Association.
School attendance in England is up, but only marginally, with just 2% of pupils who would normally attend turning up in schools last week, up from 1.8% the week before, according to official figures.
Under lockdown restrictions, schools are only open to children of key workers or those classed as vulnerable, but the numbers overall have been far lower than expected. On 30 April 191,000 children attended an education setting, compared with 175,000 on 23 April, according to Department for Education data.
Attendance among vulnerable children is also up, from 50,000 to 58,000, but this still only represents 12% of all children and young people classified as children in need or those who have an education, health and care plan for special educational needs, all of whom are entitled to a school place.
Headteachers and social services have been working to maintain regular contact with their vulnerable pupils, but many in the sector remain concerned about the impact of school closures on the most vulnerable and the potential risks of losing sight of at-risk children.