ONE of the first Italians struck down by coronavirus has tested positive AGAIN days after being given the all-clear by medics.
The unnamed 40-year-old – who is Turin’s so-called patient number one – has been closely monitored by doctors for weeks.
He has been quarantined inside the city’s Amedeo di Savoia Hospital after being diagnosed with the virus last month.
The patient was just about to be sent home after testing negative for the killer infection, say reports.
However, a control test then found he was still positive- meaning he will have to remain in hospital lockdown.
Professor Giovanni Di Perri, a virologist at the hospital, explained: “He is cured, we confirm it.
“In these cases, it is quite normal that there is a phase of oscillating between negative and positive.”
Di Perri said the positive test was due to a “residue” of the infection and is not a relapse.
The patient will remain in hospital as a precaution before undergoing further control tests.
He will only be allowed to leave when medics are absolutely certain there is no trace of the virus left in his system.
Experts say they expect similar situations to occur as the virus spreads around the world.
The Sun Online reported how morgues in Italy have been overhwhelmed by the numbers dying.
Some in the hardest-hit northern areas of Italy are said to be unable to cope with the number of bodies despite working around the clock.
Crematoriums are also said to be working 24 hours a day but still cannot keep up.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – BE IN THE KNOW
On Tuesday, some Italians issued a chilling warning over coronavirus insisting the “worst case scenario” will happen.
In a disturbing video message, people quarantined in the hard-hit country were asked to say what they would tell themselves 10 days ago.
his comes as COVID-19 has overwhelmed the country with 2,500 deaths and nearly 30,000 cases.
And with Italy now the epicentre of the crisis, Italians are warning other countries to take the virus more seriously.
One woman said: “The worst case scenario? That’s exactly what will happen.”
Another noted: “Up until 10 days ago, I went to meetings for work, I’d go to dinner with friends, to the gym, to the hairdresser. The usual boring things that have never hurt anybody.”
Italians are now on total lockdown with people unable to leave their homes and all social gatherings banned.
The country only recorded its first coronavirus case less than a month ago on February 20 – but had 12 deaths six days later.
In the UK, the government chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said yesterday that Britain is “three weeks” behind Italy in terms of the spread of the virus.