A heartbroken daughter had so say her goodbyes to her elderly mother while wearing a mask and full Hazmat suit after the woman fell victim to coronavirus.
Siobhan Cullen revealed her 88-year-old mother’s brave battle against COVID-19 after she was isolated at a hospital in Ireland.
But she said endured her ‘worst nightmare’ which has left family members unable to pay their respects, reports Dublin Live.
Siobhan has been posting updates daily on Twitter as her mother’s condition deteriorated.
But on Tuesday night Siobhan and her family were called to the south Dublin hospital to be with her mum in her final moments.
And at 3.20pm on Wednesday, her mother sadly died after a brave battle against the symptoms of the infection.
Posting on Twitter yesterday evening, Siobhan said: “At 15.20 today I said goodbye to a warrior.
“I could only hold her hand while dressed in a biohazard suit with double gloves, and double face shields. She struggled almost to the very end.
“Thankfully mum is a peace now but #COVID19 #REALITY means funeral arrangements are pretty much outside our control.
“No one can pay their respects. Never ever in a million years did I dream a nightmare worse than this.”
Earlier in the week, Siobhan shared her mother’s tough battle in an effort to raise awareness on the seriousness of COVID-19 for the elderly and vulnerable.
The 88-year-old hadn’t left her house in weeks and only had contact with her son, daughter-in-law, daughter and two carers.
But despite this extremely limited contact, she tested positive for COVID-19.
Siobhan said: “Mother VERY poorly. Tested positive. I’m waiting for call re advice on what to do. I’m just so upset. Want to cry but can’t. Need to stay strong. Folks this IS NOT FUNNY. Self isolate PLEASE. Don’t want to see anyone in same position as me.
“REALITY. 88y/o mother. Totally immobile. Hasn’t left house in weeks. Apart from brother, wife, me & 2 carers NO other contact & yet she’s tested positive THIS IS REALITY OF HOW SERIOUS THIS IS. COP ON.”
Siobhan’s mother’s death was confirmed as new figures released by the Department of Health revealed an additional 191 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the country, taking the total in the Republic to 557.
She is the third person to die from the virus in the Republic of Ireland while there has also been one death in Northern Ireland.